SOAL TRY OUT (1)
CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER!
Read the text and answer question 1-3!
A planet is a body in space that revolves around a star. There are nine planets in our solar system, and these nine planets travel around the sun. The names of planets are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
Planets travel in orbits around the stars. All of the planets of the solar system revolve in elliptical orbits. In other words, their orbits are like large, flat circles. The time that it takes a planet to make one revolution around the sun is called a year.
Source : http//:en.wikipedia.org
1. What is the suitable title for this text?...
a. The Stars
b. The Orbits
c. The Greeks
d. The Planets
2. The planets in our solar system travel…
a. around the stars
b. around in the circles
c. in one movement
d. in elliptical orbits.
3. The text above intends to…
a. describes the way things are
b. tells the past experience
c. explain a natural process
d. present one’s point of view
Read the text and answer question 4-7!
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 8 cups water
- Small clove garlic spices
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon butter
1. Fry tomatoes, onion and garlic in a pan with butter for five minutes
2. Add water, spices, salt and pepper
3. Heat until the water boils
4. Turn down the heat and cover the lid
5. Cook for one hour.
4. What is kind of the text above?
5. How many tomatoes are needed for tomato soup?
a. 4 large tomatoes
b. 4 small tomatoes
c. 1 large tomato
d. 1 small tomato
6. How much water is needed for tomato soup?
a. 1 cup of water
b. 8 cups of water
c. 5 cups of water
d. 2 cups of water
7. After frying the ingredients in a pan what is the next steps?
a. Turn down the heat
b. Heat until the water boils
c. Add water, spices, salt and pepper.
d. Cook for one hour.
Read the text and answer question 8-9!
8. The notice means :
a. Fishing is allowed
b. Many kinds of fish are provided
c. Fishing is very danger
d. Fishing is not allowed
9. We usually find the notice in the…
c. Swimming pool
Read the text and answer question 10-12!
To : Irina
Please, call Ms. Linda at 7324002 if you want a challenging job. It is a full time job in the broadcasting department, arranging TV Program, supervising the viewer’s interest, $10,000 month. I have confirmed her this morning.
From : Your Dad
10. What is the synonym of “job” in the text above?
11. What kind of job is meant by Irina’s father?
d. broadcasting manager
12. What should Irina do to contact Ms. Linda?
a. Text her
b. Email her
c. Call her
d. Fax her
Read the text and answer question 13-15!
Hi friend, here I invite you to come to my 14th birthday party,
Date : Sunday , 20 December 2015
Time : 6.00 p.m
Place : Lombok Hijau Restaurant
Jl. Kembangbahu 104 Lamongan
Please come! Without you the party will be different.
13. In what year was Krisna born?
14. Krisna hopes that Mega…
a. Brings present
b. Wears a new dress
c. Attends the party
d. sings and dances
15. When will the party held?
a. In the night
b. In the evening
c. In the afternoon
d. In the morning
Read the text and answer question 16-18!
16. You want to arrive in Semarang in the morning. What time do you have to leave Jakarta?
a. 1.00 pm
b. 6.10 am
c. 9.45 am
d. 7.00 am
17. What time is the last fight from Jakarta to Semarang?
a. 9.45 am
b. 1.00 pm
c. 4.25 pm
d. 6.00 pm
18. You depart from Jakarta at 9.45 am. What time you will arrive in Bali?
a. 9.50 pm
b. 9.45 am
c. 1.30 pm
d. 8.00 pm
Read the text and answer question 19-21!
Brushing your teeth
How to brush your teeth properly
You will need
- A soft toothbrush
What to do :
1. Firstly, squeeze some toothpaste onto the brush.
2. Then, add a little water.
3. Next, gently brush each side of every tooth
4. Gently brush gums as well
5. Finally, rinse your mouth with water.
Brush your teeth after you eat and before you go to bed.
19. To brush your teeth you need… except:
20. What do you do before add a little water?
a. gently brush gums as well
b. squeeze some toothpaste onto the brush
c. rinse your mouth with water
d. gently brush each side of every tooth
21. How many steps are there to brush your teeth?
Read the text and answer question 22-26!
Dance is rhythmic movement of the body. In Every country people dance. To dance means move the body and feet in time to music. Dance and music, like brother and sister belong to the same family. They are both based on movement and rhythm in time.
People rarely dance without music. If they don’t have musical instruments to play, they sing, clap their hands or stamps their feet, instead. Man has always felt the need of the express himself through movement. To this day hand clapping and finger snapping are practiced as accompaniment to dancing.
22. The main idea of paragraph 1 is …
a. The story about a dance
b. Dances in the islands of Bali
c. Music and movement in a dance
d. Dance as a traditional in Bali
23. What does “to dance” means?
a. Rhythmic movement of the body
b. Move the body and feet in time in music.
c. Move the body without music.
d. Express to movement.
24. “They are both based on movement and rhythm in time” (paragraph 1). What does the word they refer to?
c. dance and music
d. brother and sister
25. The followings are true about people do if they don’t have musical instruments, except…
a. People sing
b. Clap their hands
c. Stamp their feet
d. Express to movement
26. What are practiced as an accompaniment to dancing to this day?
a. Musical instrument and feet stamping
b. Hand clapping and finger snapping
c. Movements and rhythm
d. Rhythm and musical instrument
Read the text and answer question 27-30!
Do you like making snack by yourself? What kind of snack do you like? Well,… do you like making jelly snack? If you do, you may choose one kind of it, Nutjell.
How do you make it? Now, follow these instructions:
Prepare a sachet of Nutjell powder, a pan, three and half glasses of water, five spoonfuls of sugar depending on your taste, and some jelly moulds.
First, mix jelly powder well with five spoonfuls of sugar. After that, pour the mixture into seven hundred ml of water, stir till dissolved and boll. Then pour the solution into the jelly moulds. Wait a few minutes until cool. The jelly snack is ready.
27. Why did the writer write the passage?
a. To entertain the readers.
b. To show how to make Nutjell.
c. To describe what the Nutjell is.
d. To inform the readers about what happened.
28. To make Nutjell we need the materials such as…
a. Nutjell powder, water, sugar
b. Nutjell powder, water, sugar, sachet
c. Nutjell powder, water, sugar, sachet, pan
d. Nutjell powder, water, sugar, sachet, pan, moulds.
29. Which one belongs to the third stage of making Nutjell?
a. Prepare a sachet of Nutjell powder
b. Pour the solution into the the jelly moulds
c. Mix well jelly powder with five spoonful of sugar
d. Pour the mixture into seven hundred ml of water
30. The word… in the text above means “stir”.
31. Fira : What do you think about Bella? Is she coming tonight?
Aurel : I don’t think she will come.
From the dialogue above, we know that…
a. Aurel feels sure that Bella will come
b. Aurel feels uncertain that Bella will come
c. Aurel doesn’t like Bella
d. Aurel tries to think about Bella
32. Putra : Are you sure that she will come to my party tonight?
Zainul : I’m sure about that.
The italic sentence is used to express…
33. Mr. Agus : Can Tia operate a computer?
Yuyun : Maybe she can, but … I have never seen her operate it.
a. I’m afraid she can
b. I’m surprised to know that
c. I doubt it
d. I’m sure about it
34. Femi : Hello, can I speak to Adelia?
Adelia : Sorry, I can’t hear you. The signal is low.
The italicized sentence shows..
35. The following expressions are used to ask for repetition, except…
a. Excuse me?
c. Pardon me?
36. Ergas : ………………
Umam : First, open the document, then click ‘file’ and ‘print’
a. Do you know what I mean?
b. I don’t know how to print a document.
c. Do you know how to print a document?
d. Are you with me so far?
37. Senja : There is something wrong with my TV. Do you think he can repair it?
Syifa : ….. his TV is out of order too.
a. No doubt
b. I doubt that
c. I’m sure
d. I’m afraid
Read the text and answer question 38-39!
The picture is about…
a. Instruction to register at office
b. Warning to register at office
c. Visiting the office
d. Entering the office
39. Where do you usually see the sign?
a. In the zoo
b. On the beach
c. In a seminar
d. In the movie
Read the text and answer question 40-43!
We’ve just moved to our new house
and We would like to invite you
to have a barbeque party
Tomorrow at 3 p.m in 23 Birch Street
We wish your coming
There will be our friends and family too.
Sahara & Kevin
Who give the invitation?
b. Sahara and Kevin family
c. Alifa’s friends
d. Kevin and Sahara
41. In the invitation above, the writer invites Alifa to…
a. Have a barbeque party
b. Move to a new house
c. Visit the writer’s house
d. Gather with friends and family
42. Sahara and Kevin will move to …
a. A new school
b. A new house
c. A new party
d. A new city
43. What kind of text did you just read?
a. An invitation
b. A notice
c. An announcement
d. A recount
Read the text and answer question 44-46!
Mommy is going to the supermarket
Your lunch is on the table
I’ll be back before 4.00 pm
44. What is the above passage?
d. Shopping list
45. Who is the writer of the above passage?
a. A mother
b. The children
c. The child
46. What is the purpose of this note?
a. To amuse the readers
b. To describe particular things
c. To inform the readers
d. To tell past events
Read the text and answer question 47-50!
Eggs are a rich source of protein and vitamins and are generally healthy to eat, unless you have a high cholesterol level. You can eat eggs raw, boiled or cooked in a pan as scrambled eggs or an omelet. Boiling eggs is one of the easiest ways to prepare them. Folllows the steps.
First of all, place the raw egg in a saucepan.
Second, run cold water into saucepan until the water is 1 inch above the egg.
After that, place the saucepan on a stove and cook over medium heat until the water begins to boil.
The next, don’t forget to reduce the heat to low
Then, simmer for 2 to 3 minutes for soft-boiled eggs or 10 to 15 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.
Finally, remove the egg with a spoon or ladle and let it cool slowly, or run cold water over it to cool it more quickly.
47. What is going to do in the text above?
a. How to boil an egg
b. How to boil water
c. How to reduce the cholesterol level
d. How to scrambled egg.
48. What is the writer intention in writing the text above?
a. To tell the reader the process of boiling egg
b. To describe the reader the boil egg.
c. To tell the reader the instruction of boiling egg
d. To explain the reader the process of boiling egg
49. How many minute do we need to boil a soft egg?
a. 2 minutes and half
b. 2-3 minutes
c. 10-15 minutes
d. 60 minutes
50. What materials needed in boiling egg?
a. Egg, water, spoonful, saucepan
b. Water, pan, scrambled egg.
c. Water, egg, stove, saucepan, spoon/ladle
d. Spoonful, water, saucepan.